The Mini Challenge cars have always been the blueprint for my mods and how I want my Mini to look. My new steering wheel from Control Custom Steering Wheel has me one step closer!
I can honestly say I never had an issue with the steering wheel but I saw the flat-bottom wheel on a Facebook post and I had to have it.
Control Customs is based out of England and said the whole process would take eight weeks. It was eight weeks exactly and I had the new wheel in my hand.
The wheel I went with was a full Alcantara wrapped wheel with a yellow center guide. I could have gone half carbon, full carbon or any other combination but I wanted the Challenge car style and look.
Steps To Install The New Steering Wheel:
- Unplug the battery. There are a few steps to get to the positive terminal so take your time.
- On the back side of the wheels there are three small holes, get a 4mm Allen key and push in to disengage the airbag. You can see the clips in the picture.
- The center bolt is a 16mm head so unscrew that and disconnect the airbag and horn wires. These are the only two wires in there.
- If you have the thumb controls as I do, get a 20 Torx bit and unscrew the left and right side controls on the back of the wheel.
- Swap the controls over to the new wheel the same way you took them off
- Center the new steering wheel onto the steering shaft and screw the bolt back in
- Connect the horn and airbag
- Press the airbag back down onto the three clamps
- Reconnect the battery and you are DONE!
Its a very easy install and unlike most Mini-mods, there is no coding involved!